Monday, May 12, 2008

Internship Day 1

Today was the first day of my internship. I was more or less familiar with the lay of the land at the Main Library as I had recently participated in a job exchange from my branch library, which is located nearby. I worked from noon until 9pm, with an hour for lunch, equalling 8 hours for the day.
I arrived and went to see my site supervisor, Dani. We spoke regarding my schedule, various things she would like me to attend, and other administrative tasks. Afterwards we discussed the selection committee process, and she showed me a journal for me to review. In my system, various journals are reviewed for new and upcoming titles. Various staff members from a variety of locations review them, and these titles are discussed and ultimately compiled into a selection list. It is this list that various locations may order from.
So, today, I was given a copy of Library Journal from which I had to read reviews and judge whether or not a title was worthy of being on the selection list. Various criteria that I had to consider was if the author was popular, if the topic of the book was popular, cost, relevancy to the area, and other such things. So, for about four hours I did this. I made notes according to my thoughts, such as, "popular author, but recent titles didn't circulate well," or, "title is somewhat pricey, but received an excellent review." Afterwards, Dani and I discussed my choices. I learned a few things from this discussion. For instance, I had decided a gardening book was worthy, but I was told that our particular climate was a problem as it typically alters gardening practices significantly. As such, many generalized gardening books aren't considered unless they mention or deal with our particular climate.
After dinner I came back and observed Dani doing virtual and telephone reference. Monday nights my system participates in the program run by the Florida State Library, "Ask a Librarian." We received questions from all over the state which ran the gamut from scholarly research questions to the more mundane, such as if a particular system carries a TV show. One excellent resource I learned about was the Statistical Abstracts resource, which we consulted to determine how many children were in foster care between a two year period.
I logged 8 hours today, from 12 noon to 4pm, and from 5pm to 9pm.

No comments: