Monday, May 19, 2008

Internship day 2 continued

In my previous post I mentioned the many different areas that reference materials are kept. We have the three current areas, ready-ref, telephone/virtual ref, and the general reference collection. Each of these carries current year materials, and as these are replaced, some are placed into a storage reference collection. There are three storage reference collections, one the so-called atlas room, which carries "Who's Who" books as well as military-related materials. The second is a Florida-related area which is, perhaps, 4 bays of shelves in a hallway. The third is a general reference storage area, which is actually located on top of the bookshelves in the reference area.
All of these materials, (some of which may not be cataloged at all, I can't be sure,) are labeled in our computer system simply as reference. I, at least, find that completely inefficient! I know our computer system is capable of so much more than we utilize it for. I suppose, if it were up to me and we all lived in a perfect world, I'd ask our kind IT folks to make us a couple more locations so we could more easily find these materials. Of course, this would require that someone scan each of these items individually, which is probably the biggest hurdle. In the few times I've interacted with the reference staff, complaints of poor staffing have been pervasive, and so I doubt they'd be thrilled with this idea from some young whipper-snapper.
Of course, this idea of putting things into a virtual storage location to reflect a different physical location might be something that administration frowns upon. At my branch for at least two years we had probably close to 10 crates of science fiction and mystery books that we didn't have room for on the shelf. I had raised the idea of simply putting them all into storage so that we knew where they were as opposed to where the computer claimed they were. This idea was not received well, however, resulting in many being marked missing. I'm happy to say we've been weeding a great deal lately, which makes my heart warm, so we don't have this problem anymore.
I can only hope that one day, perhaps when the Main staff get a new library, they'll be able to rectify this.

No comments: